Thursday, May 5, 2016

Edge Trim Experiment

I decided to trim the curved edge of the aft deck (yeah, I know, getting ahead of myself again) so I experimented yesterday.

I milled a piece of cherry to 3/4" x 3/4" x 36" and centered a 1/4" wide and 5/8" deep slot on one side. This fit perfectly on a flat length of 6mm ply. I popped the piece into a length of poly-tubing, hooked up the steamer and let it run for 30 minutes. It didn't work…

First thing I noticed was the piece was dry, which was unlike the carlins when I took them out of the poly-tubing. Second thing was the piece cracked - right at the top of the bend in the deck. Third thing was the slot was pinched at the top of the bend.

So, what happened? Three things:
  • The slot wasn't wide enough to take the bend,
  • I did not pre-soak the piece, and
  • I did not steam the piece long enough.


I'll try again…

No comments:

Post a Comment