Sunday, July 16, 2017

Changes/Additions to the Mast Slot

The mast slot, in its present form, is cut into to king plank and is only one inch 'deep.'

(It will remain cut in the king plank but) I am making it 'deeper' (intending to improve lateral support when raising the mast) by adding 1" x 1½" x [the correct length] doublers on top and bottom on both sides of the slot, increasing the depth to 4". An added benefit is the bottom doublers will add some rigidity between BH1 and BH2

Also under consideration is a mast gate (no not in the plans) as a bit of "belt & suspenders" along with the mast slot plug. The mast gate will be fabricated from CVG DF. A question I have is, how should the grain be oriented?

End grain facing aft (the block shown in the photos is a 'place-holder,' not the real thing):

Edge grain facing aft:

or, Face grain facing aft? No photo but the block could be laminated face grain to face grain.

Friday, July 14, 2017

Centerboard Case Rebuild

Today I stopped thinking about the centerboard case remediation and began the project by cutting off the top of the case. I used a 4½" circular saw for the lengthwise cuts (it worked well).

The next step is to fit and install plywood doublers to the sides to take the case back to original dimensions. I will add packers fore and aft as needed. Additional seat-top support material will be installed as needed to make up for the support lost to the plywood doublers. A new cap will be added after the centerboard itself is installed.

It is difficult to cut a chunk out of your boat - even when you know it has to be done. (Had to be done because I went off plan for the centerboard lifting arrangement and the case design.)

As for the interior paint - at least as far as the bilges and inside of the hull are concerned - I like the three coats of paint. I need to do some brush work in some nooks and crannies to tidy things up a bit, but I am also thinking another coat or two wouldn't hurt anything...

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Paint, Centerboard Case and Mast-Slot

Bilge and Interior paint are, for all practical purposes, done. Some touch-up work with a brush is left to be done in corners, crevices, and spots the sprayer couldn't reach.

So, now there is a pause before beginning the center-board case project, installing the center-board, and installing the seat tops. I'm giving myself the chance to see what I'm missing… (I can install the cockpit seat tops without interfering with the work on the center-board case, but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting something.)

On the drawing board is how to secure the plug in the mast-slot. Several possibilities exist but the longer I think about it simpler solutions come to mind. I'm close to a deciding on a 'final' design.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Sanding, Paint and Varnish

Working on the centerboard: prepping (sanding) for epoxy and fiberglass.

More painting of the bilges and interior. (With sanding between coats of paint)

More varnish on the tiller.

Thinking about the process/sequence of cutting off the top of the center board case (to install centerboard) and rebuilding the case.