Saturday, January 2, 2021

Resolutions

For many years I have not followed the pretty common practice of making New Year's Resolutions because whenever I did make Resolutions, I did not succeed at keeping them or seeing them through. A few weeks ago I decided to give Resolutions another try. 

Now, I know, Resolutions (like goals and targets) are most likely to succeed if they are specific (quantified, measurable, achievable). But as my list of Resolutions grew, I realized that very few on the list  are specific. I also know the list should be short...

Realizing the shortcomings of my List of Resolutions, here it is:

  • Plan Better
  • Fret Less
  • Do More:    
    •     Sailing (day sails, boat camping, exploring)
    •     Exercise (to improve physical and mental health)
    •     Woodworking (to improve skills and results)
    •     Cooking and Baking (try new recipes; expand our food horizons)
    •     Communication (with children, siblings, family and friends) 
    •     Reading (more & more meaningful books; learn)

Yes, some of these can be quantified and measurable - but I'm not assigning numbers to them right now. I am also not listing a number of goals that fit within these generalized categories. 

How will I know if I've kept my Resolutions? To paraphrase U.S. Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, "I'll know it when I see it."

No comments:

Post a Comment