Wednesday, May 21, 2014

From A Sprint To A Marathon

When I began building Gardens in the late fall of 2011, I had great plans and expectations of completing and launching her in the Spring of 2013.

Then a funny thing happened in February 2012. Oh, not funny "Ha-Ha" or even funny "Peculiar" - just funny as in an unexpected turn of events…

I attended Sail Havasu that February - and learned a great lesson in humility - but that wasn't the funny thing. When I returned to Michigan I resumed volunteering in the local Food Kitchen. While prepping the noon meal, the leader of the group asked, "Bob, have you met Jan?" And that was IT… even though we didn't realize it was so that day, that was the day the "funny thing" began. We've been together ever since.

So, what does all this have to do with boat building? Life is so dynamic that a small change here or a funny little thing there has a great impact on everything else, including plans and expectations. That February meeting, although we didn't recognize it at the time, changed building Gardens from a sprint into a marathon. And I don't regret it at all.

Looking back on earlier posts, I realize I have been busy getting ready to do this or do that but precious little actual boat building. While family affairs continue to arise - and we'll be traveling a good bit more this summer - I am content to experience life and work on Gardens when I can. Late this summer and into the fall, Gardens will progress toward completion with an eye to launching in the spring of 2015.

1 comment:

  1. Bob,
    It is great to see you building the boat of your life.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete