Friday, September 27, 2013

Not as bad as it might have been…

A string of mishaps yesterday could have resulted in a disaster… and when I left the shop late yesterday afternoon I wasn't sure what I'd find this morning. I was only half-joking when I said I didn't think I epoxied the centerboard to the work bench.

But, this morning, I was relieved to learn the CB was NOT glued to the bench and, further, things weren't as bad as they might have been. Another thing I did wrong yesterday was to leave the CB where the late afternoon sun could get to it. All the sparkles in the photo? Out-gassing bubbles from the CB warming in the sun. The CB first thing this morning:



After some careful grinding and sanding, the sparkles are gone and this is what the CB looks like now:



Those gaps around the plug have been filled and the plugs will be glassed.

One good thing to come out of yesterday's fiasco is that cross-section of the CB is thinner and more streamlined than it had been. Oh, the REALLY good thing result from yesterday is that I don't have to build a new centerboard!

2 comments:

  1. Bob,

    Thanks for showing us. Maybe, perhaps, possibly we can avoid a few mistakes of our own, now, having seen what can happen.

    - Michael H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I am learning is this: mistakes happen but they can be fixed. Of course, it may be better to not make mistakes in the first place but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

      Bob

      Delete