Saturday, January 24, 2015

Procrastination Can Be a Good Thing

Time to regroup my plans for the lug-yawl sail plan for Gardens of Fenwick.

The initial lug-yawl rig drawing from John Welsford (in 2012) featured the Scamp sail and spars appropriately sized for the Pathfinder. This, I thought, was a good thing. The Scamp lug sail measures 100 sq. ft. While the dimensions are not identical, the lug sail for the Goat Island Skiff measures 105 sq. ft. Seemed to me I could use the GIS sail on Gardens (can't sail two boats at one time so having just one lug sail didn't pose a problem). However, over time, I became aware that the lug sail DuckWorks sells for the Pathfinder lug-yawl rig measures 148 sq. ft. That is quite a difference.

As previously noted, I sent John an email with my questions. In the meantime, I ordered the Pathfinder Lug Yawl sail plan drawing from DuckWorks (which I should have done a long time ago). That drawing arrived the other day and confirmed the larger sail (which is what I suspected to be the case).

So, I have work to do: New spars and a new sail. But since I hadn't begun the spars for the Pathfinder (the mast is taller, the boom is longer and the yard is longer than on the GIS, necessitating new ones), this change in plans didn't really cost me anything.

Procrastination can be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment