Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Seriously Keen...

The weather seems to have turned the corner from the last fitful gasps of wintery rain/sleet/snow/ice to a very promising - and very Spring-like - forecast: clear, dry and warmer for the next 10 days!

I've been busy the last few days and I'm looking forward to the next week or so…

All of the seat panels and two out of three platform deck panels are ready for paint (on the undersides. I've been playing musical saw-horses with the panels while epoxy coating them, but with the warm weather I need to dig out a couple more supports so I can paint all the panels at the same time.

I plan to follow a couple of other Pathfinder builders and install carlins to better support the side decks, so I am experimenting with steam bending wood (rub-rails later in the build will need bending, too). A steam generator, a roll of poly-tube, some wishful thinking and good intentions ought to see me through…

Being my typically optimistic self, I plan to mill birdsmouth staves for the yard and the mizzen mast over the weekend (or early next week). Assembly of those two spars could happen next week, too, depending on my recruiting skills (Jan will be visiting grandchildren in Denver).

The king plank is ready for installation but I want to get the space between BH-1 and BH-2 at least prepped for painting without the king plank getting in the way.

And, so it goes. I feels good making progress again. As John Welsford commented on a FaceBook post, "…it is at this point of a build that I get seriously keen on getting her finished and on the water." That is where I am at: "Seriously Keen! "

No comments:

Post a Comment