Sunday, May 20, 2018

Getting Closer

Lots of nearly ‘invisible’ progress this week.

Seat tops and platform deck prepped for paint (sanded, epoxy, sanded, epoxy, sanded). Decks sanded and epoxied (almost ready for paint…)



Decided on a paint color : a light tannish brown called Eagle Ridge. The small sample looks more gray than brown in the photo… After a lot of what-ifs and maybes about color, we realized we can always re-paint if we don’t like it.



The cockpit needs work and the coamings need to be installed. Mast step and step base have been pre-drilled for installation and both need epoxy before going into the boat.



Mast/coaming anchor block fitted to foredeck and ready for installation (one more check to make sure mast fits the slot… )



Monday, May 14, 2018

Busy Again!

After three-plus months of doing nothing, I am suddenly very busy!

Gardens: working on the interior; sanding decks, fiddling with the coamings, prepping the mast step for installation, prepping for paint, and much, much more.



Karen Ann: refinishing the foils, sanding the interior, new varnish, cleaning the exterior, getting the trailer road-ready, checking the rigging, and much more.



OZ Goose Project : Yep, since I don't have enough to keep me busy, I'm planning a community boat-building project based on the Philippine phenomenon.

(No images of the OZ Goose Project as yet, although work on Karen Ann and the OZ Goose Project will be documented elsewhere.)

Monday, May 7, 2018

Light of Day

Gardens emerged from the barn today so a big clean up of the boat bay could happen today.



The clean up involved the removal of plastic sheeting suspended across 2x4s 12' above the floor. It was placed there years ago to protect vehicles from pigeon droppings... After the pigeons departed (we have no idea why), raccoons took over and decided the plastic sheeting was great as a latrine... Needless to say, it was not a pleasant chore but we got it done: remove the droppings, pull out the sheeting, remove the 2x4s. My theory is that without the sheeting and the 2x4s to walk on, the raccoons can't use the overhead space as a latrine...

With Gardens out in the open, I decided to see how the mizzen mast fits. And it does:



I didn't test the main mast in the mast slot as that mast step is not ready. I left the yellow webbing used as slings to lift Gardens in place.

Gardens went back into the barn. Elmer Gantry lifted her off the trailer and set her back on her supports. The trailer went to another part of the barn and things are very much as they were this morning - except for the big overhead clean up changed the overhead space and gives me clearance to raise the mast inside.

Yes, there is a lot more to do but the sight of Gardens out of the barn and on the trailer is inspiring...

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Weather, Shoulder and Gardens

Weather has improved.

Shoulder is improving.

Work on Gardens has resumed.

Work on the coaming has gone from door-skin pattern stage...

to the real 9mm ply pieces...

Despite using patterns there is a good bit of fitting to be done - for several reasons: the patterns were only used to draw the outline of the pieces on the ply - so the 'line' on the ply actually described a 'larger' piece; I still had to cut accurately; and the bottom edge of the ply needs to be beveled to sit flush on the cockpit seat tops.

So much more to do... but I am glad to be back to working on Gardens.