Sunday, June 8, 2014

Skeg Fabrication: Milling and Lamination

So, with the shop semi-functional, I got to work on the skeg. The skeg measures (approximately) 1720mm (67") long; 165mm (6½") at its widest/deepest point; and 70mm (2¾") thick. To create a blank measuring 70mm x 165mm x 1828mm (72" allowing for further cutting to size, I started with two rough-cut pine (species unknown - this is old wood that came from an old Michigan farmhouse) boards measuring 50mm (2") x 152mm (6")x 2140mm (84"). These boards were used to support lath & plaster walls so there were multiple shallow, small nail holes in the faces of the boards when I began to work the lumber.



These were milled with a thickness planer to 35mm (about 1 3/8") x 146mm (5¾"). This removed many, but not all, of the nail holes. The boards were then cut down to 1828mm (72") for gluing.



The boards were laminated using epoxy: a coat of neat epoxy on both boards, thickened epoxy lathered on one board, and then clamped together.



Once the lamination is cured, I will square up the edges and glue a hardwood shoe - maybe that's not the correct terminology - on what will be the lower edge. (Maybe it is a sub-skeg?) I have some found oak 2x4s that I plan to mill to fit the blank and form the lower edge of the skeg. After cleaning up one of those 2x4s, I think it might be quarter-sawn oak… If it is, I'll find different hardwood for the skeg and use the quarter-sawn oak for something that will be a bit more visible.

Once the blank is complete, I'll make a pattern, rough-cut the skeg to shape and work to fill and fair any remaining small, shallow nail holes. I'll fine tune the fit when it is time to install the skeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment