Monday, April 8, 2013

Mizzen Sail is Sewn

I spent the weekend visiting my daughter in Chicago. We got crafty and built a platform bed for her and began repainting two dressers. Saturday's 70° weather reminded me that spring is nearly here.

Back to Central Michigan and boat work...

The sewing part of building the sail is done! Sewing sail edges will always be a challenge for me: balancing and supporting the sail feeding into and out of the machine calls for creative solutions. Two people working together made this part of the project easier than what I experienced building Karen Ann's sail. All that is left to do is install the grommets and finish off the corners with a hot knife.

The boom frame will be glued tomorrow. Wednesday I'll trim any excess goo and fit the plywood sides. It will be interesting to see how the weight and stiffness of this boom compares to the other boom designs I've built.

The weather is warming which means I can resume work in the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment