Friday, October 12, 2012

Planking Progress: Garboards Installed

The garboards have been installed!

Messabouts are great! The sailing is wonderful but there is much to be learned - even in casual conversation. One never knows when the next helpful hint will pop up. At last weekend's SailOK, several possibilities for fitting the garboard were made. I don't doubt that all were good suggestions. I picked one and went with it.

Cutting the foremost three feet of the garboard at 45° to the grain of the plywood worked to let me bend and twist the piece into place. Fitting the last piece to fill the final gap in the garboard proved to be fiddlier than bending & twisting that front piece.



The tingles (plywood straps overlapping the joins between plank sections) have been installed on the interior of the garboard plank. I'll finish filling and fairing those joins when the hull has been turned over - but there is a great deal of work to be done before I get to that point.

The second plank has been started. I expect the planking will become easier and faster - but I won't be surprised to run into unforeseen steps to be taken along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Bob,

    Glad you got the suggestions and glad you got the garboards on. She's looking more and more like a boat!

    - Michael H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Gardens is looking more and more like a boat! I just need a bit more patience.

      Delete