Sunday, April 29, 2012

Fiddly Fitting of a Finicky Frame

Fitting the seat fronts and Frame 6-A (aka Frame 7, depending on your plan-set) today was an exercise in fit-mark-cut-repeat (many times over). I did get parts fitted - including the bevel on 6-A to fit the bottom of the boat.

One can visualize the cockpit taking shape… One could actually see the cockpit taking shape had I remembered to use the camera this afternoon.

The transom is next...

Friday, April 27, 2012

A Side Trip and... Another Project?

Took a little side trip on Tuesday to visit the Heritage Coast Rowing and Sailing project in East Tawas, MI. The project is an evolution of the Scottish Coastal Rowing program designed as a community boat building and rowing activity. The Heritage 23 is based on the traditional Mackinaw boat - a design of historical significance in the Great Lakes region. The Heritage 23 is a beautiful boat:
It was a treat to meet the people involved in the project - too many to name individually - particularly Dave Wentworth (point man for the project) and Alec Jordan (the man behind the kits for the St. Ayles Skiff and the Heritage 23).

I have been enamored with the Scottish Coastal Rowing concept since first hearing about it three years ago. The idea of getting involved in a community boat building project has been rattling around my head for a year or so and the Heritage project is exciting as it is based on a meaningful local design. My visit with Dave, Alec and everyone else in East Tawas was informative and inspiring. As work continues with Gardens, I plan to explore local interest in building a Heritage 23 as a community project. It would be great to build a community boat here in Central Michigan and take it to the shores of Lake Huron for some good fun, camaraderie and competition with other Heritage 23s!

Monday, April 23, 2012

Back At It - Finally

Well, that 24-hour bug turned into more of a 240-hour nasty affliction that kept me from doing much of anything. But, I feel almost normal again so I am back, happily, in the shop working on Gardens of Fenwick.

Installed some doublers on the the spine between frames 1 and 3 went well. Milled more 20mm square stock didn't require a great deal of concentration or strenuous effort but was satisfying to do.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Time to admit it...

Well, I figured by now to be hanging planks and proceeding at a good pace toward preparing to turn the hull over...

Not to be. What began as a tickle in my throat has blossomed into a full-blown cold (hey, we're ignoring the possibility of it being the flu). This after a casual comment at supper a couple weeks ago, "Oh, I never get sick." Should have known...

So, I have done nothing on the boat since last weekend. But, this is spring and hope springs eternal... I'm feeling well enough to get out to the shop tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully, I will actually make new progress.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

At Last... Assembly Begins

At long last, assembly of Gardens' hull has begun.

The centerboard case was installed (glued and screwed) on Tuesday. Today, Frame #5 was installed at the aft end of the CB case.

The stem/spine and three more frames (##1, 2 and 3) were fitted to the bottom. A few adjustments were necessary - and I discovered another one of those little "better done before installed on the boat" steps (trimming the stem/spine to fit and milling 20mm x 20mm stock for reinforcements of the stem/spine once it is installed). I decided to let things sit overnight before gluing and screwing these four components. This is for my benefit - I want to make sure things are set up correctly and fresh eyes in the morning may see something I missed this afternoon.

The important thing, though, is assembly of Gardens' hull has begun!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Waiting for Epoxy to Cure

Despite my earlier comments that boats are more than plywood and epoxy (and I didn't even mention the blood, sweat and tears that go into wooden boats), I am waiting for epoxy to set. The last coat of epoxy (at least before assembly) on the centerboard case is setting up. In the meantime...

The sail kit for the mizzen sail arrived on Thursday. I'm excited to get this sail assembled so I can order the jib.

On our way to Ann Arbor for the weekend, we stopped at L.L. Johnson Lumber in Charlotte looking for some hardwood. I want to add a cap to the CB case and thought I might find something to use. No joy there but... I did find a piece of maple to use for the rudder cheeks. Tonight I drafted and cut out the template for the rudder cheeks. I'll trace the shape on the wood and cut the cheeks in the next few days. Now, I know, maple is not the first choice for use on a boat but the rudder cheeks will be epoxy coated, primed and painted. Attention to touching up nicks and scrapes over the years will extend the life of the rudder assembly. I'll head over to Atwoods Forest Products for material for the cap on the CB case.

Tuesday is a busy non-boat-work day. Volunteer work at a soup kitchen in the morning (prepping and serving lunch) followed by errands and a renewed effort at beginning training for a 75-mile bicycle ride in August. It is unlikely that I will get the CB case installed tomorrow. That should give the epoxy plenty of time to cure.